CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 6, 2009

Impossible & Possible




Last night at our Sunday gathering we discussed Mark 10:17-31. In the past when I've heard this passage preached it has generally revolved around the idea of money and how money can become a road block to the Kingdom of God, especially if we love it more than we do God. But last night we spent most of the night focussing in on two other truths from that passage, namely that with God all things are possible (v.27) and that Christ Himself (through his Church) makes up one hundred fold for everything that is lacking when we 'leave everything to follow' Jesus (vv.28-31). I think the first truth that Jesus declares in v.27 is the one that has encouraged me the most recently. Shortly after I got out to Eugene, I began to get an overwhelming sense of helplessness here. And truth be told, I am confronted by that feeling a lot. To this point, I've never questioned our calling to Eugene, but the work that God has called us to do here does feel impossible. I find myself asking the same question the disciples asked to one another in v.26, who then can be saved? What an interesting question that is, especially coming from the disciples. Remember in Mark 1:17-18, Jesus invited them to follow Him and He would make them fishers of men. And at once they left their nets and followed him. Here they are, they've left everything (more than any of our church plant team has left) to follow Jesus for the sake of the gospel and now they've come face to face with the impossibility of the task they've been called to. With man this is impossible... What a helpless feeling? I kind of imagine Jesus pausing for quite some time after saying that first part of v.27. The kind of pause that makes everyone listening uncomfortable, not sure if they should do or say anything or just wait out the akward silence. But maybe Jesus had to pause to let the reality of the human condition sink in, namely that it is impossible for man to enter the kingdom of God in and of himself. That it's impossible for us to change the hearts of any of our friends here in Eugene in and of ourselves. And just when we begin to recognize the gravity of our condition, Jesus breaks the long pause...all things are possible with God. Maybe it's not so bad to feel helpless after all. Maybe it's not so bad to feel like the mission we've been called to in Eugene is impossible. Maybe that's exactly where God wants us to be! God shows up when the situation is impossible, period. Maybe our lives are meant to be lived in the healthy tension between feeling helpless and hopeful, fearful and faithful, desperate and dependent, maybe that's exactly where God wants us to be. I guess my prayer now is that Jesus will help me to live in the tension between the impossible and possible. The impossible so that I'm always reminded that I can't change anyone...the possible so that I'm always reminded that God alone can...and does!

Clint

0 comments: