CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An interesting thought...

So today I had the opportunity to spend some time with Jeff, the lead pastor of Common Ground Christian Church. It's always good to sit and rap with him because he always seems to have such good insight. We spent some time processing the reality that our house hadn't sold yet and how it was pretty frustrating for Rachel and I. I described to him how I had disengaged in many ways from life in Indy over the last 2-3 months in light of the expectation that I would soon by in Eugene, or so I thought, and how difficult that had been on me because I would seemingly get my hopes up with each showing on our house only to be let down each time. I shared with him how that had taken a toll on me and that I had recently asked God to give me the grace to engage here and be fully present in Indy until we were released from here. It has been really good to experience God's intervention. I still desire so much to be with my church body in Eugene but the calling is to be continually investing into the kingdom in Indy until God releases us.

After talking about this a little, Jeff said it is similar to how the church should be living on earth in light of the hope of our heavenly dwelling. The church should always have in sight their heavenly dwelling while in their earthly dwelling. In all reality, our hope of a heavenly dwelling should compel us to live more fully into the kingdom while in our earthly dwelling. Paul talks about this earthly and heavenly distinction in 2 Corinthians 5. Specifically in vv. 6-9 Paul says:

Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.

As I pondered this passage later in the day, I was drawn specifically to verse 9...so we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. Let me just share one question, one observation, and one "so what." The question is this, what does it look like in my life, in your life, and in the life of our church to please God? The observation from this passage is that as Christians it will eternally be our goal to please him. Paul says whether we are at home in the body or away from it.. Pleasing God isn't something we will do only on earth, but for all eternity. The "so what" for me is will I make it my goal to please him whether in Indy or Eugene, whether everything is going my way or life is coming apart all around me, whether I've got plenty or am in need, you get the point. What is the "so what" for you? What is the "so what" for our church? How are you (and we as a church) coming along at making it our goal to please him, ......whether.....or....?

I love you guys and am praying for you!

Clint McKinnis

0 comments: